Coconut has been hailed as the Tree of Life, and it’s no surprise – due to how its “fruit” gives life-nourishing benefits. From its scrumptious meat to its refreshing water, coconut is indeed a complete package when it comes to giving the body what it needs.
Consequently, coconut oil is not far behind. In fact, it is considered to be one of the few superfoods that exist. If you think it’s just another run-of-the-mill byproduct, think again.
Aside from the more common benefits of coconut oil when used externally like on your hair or on your skin, coconut oil also holds a load of health benefits when consumed. Think about weight loss, improved brain function and overall health improvements. These are just some of the practically unending list of health benefits that result from consuming coconut oil.
One of the greatest health benefits of coconut oil is its effective support of heart health. The reason that most people thought otherwise is that it’s a form of “oil.” What they fail to see is that it has lauric acid, which is known to help prevent heart related ailments that branch off from high cholesterol levels and increased blood pressure. Furthermore, it lowers the risk of any damage in your arteries. In turn, this lowers the chances of you getting atherosclerosis, or the clogging of your arteries.
Talk about irony: how often do you hear about oil (or fat, if you will) that can help you with your heart problems.
Considering its health benefits, how can you enjoy and fully take advantage of the wondrous effects of coconut oil? It’s not just a matter of taking in a spoonful of coconut oil every day. You can get the health benefits while enjoying every moment of it with these healthy and nutritious recipes.
Read on to get a jumpstart on learning the different uses for coconut oil in your daily meals.
For Salad Dressing
If you are the type of person who enjoys a daily serving of salad, or just wants to try something different in your salad experience, this one’s for you.
Get a dose of healthy fat and an awesome source of antioxidants with this unique Coconut Salad Dressing!
It does not only give you the nutrients you need, it also helps your body effectively absorb vitamins and minerals. In return, it makes you body more resistant to various diseases.
All the more to eat those healthy greens!
⅔ cup coconut oil, melted
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
⅓ cup vinegar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
½ tablespoon raw honey
1 small garlic clove, crushed and minced
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon unprocessed sea salt
¼ tsp pepper
- Put all the ingredients in a sizeable bowl. Blend the mixture well until flavors and color tone are evenly distributed.
- Add the mixed dressing to the dressing vessel of your choice. Make sure to let it stand for 45 minutes to an hour before chilling it.
- Reminder: Since this unique salad dressing has coconut as its main ingredient, it can easily harden when refrigerated. Before you use your fresh coconut salad dressing, make sure to allow it to rest in room temperature for a few minutes. You can also put the container in warm bath to allow it to be more viscous.
Imagine a cold Wednesday early evening. You’re about to have dinner. Something inside you tells you to go for something warm in your belly. For sure, the best way to satiate that craving is with a warm, creamy and tasty bowl of soup!
Soup is one of the most comforting foods to eat when you want to feel toasty and calm. True enough, you can enjoy it as a light snack or as a yummy appetizer with a healthy serving of coconut oil. Take a sip of the mixed flavors of Coconut Curry Soup!
With its earthy taste, you can enjoy this recipe as it warms your soul and nourish your body. Plus, you can enjoy this healthy recipe as part of your weight loss diet!
½ medium onion, chopped
½ red bell pepper, sliced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
½ zucchini squash, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 green onions, finely sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 Tbsp coconut oil
3 cups coconut water
1 lime, juiced
2 tsp cumin
1 inch ginger fresh chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp nama shoyu
1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
½ cup mung bean sprouts, for garnish
Fresh basil, for garnish
- Using a pre-heated medium saucepan, heat the coconut oil. Sauté the onion, garlic and red pepper in the pan, allowing the base ingredients to cook for a 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Pour three cups of coconut water. Bring it to simmer on low heat.
- Add the zucchini, carrots, and celery. Allow the vegetables to cook and become tender.
- Put the lime juice and cumin, turmeric, ginger and nama shoyu in. Make sure to stir well to avoid any possible sticking of ingredients to the bottom of the pan. Turn off the heat after all the spices have dissolved.
- Add the cayenne pepper.
- Garnish with mung bean sprouts and basil leaves. Serve as is or with a bowl of rice on the side.
For those who grew up eating fresh fruit ice cream, you have most definitely had strawberry-banana ice cream at one point in your life. Perhaps you have had it almost every day when you were younger. You could just smell the sweet dew of strawberry and taste the luscious flavor of banana just by thinking about them.
You can now enjoy this snack in the healthiest and most exciting way this time around. Put a healthy twist on this sweet treat with this Coconut Strawberry Banana Smoothie!
The heavenly goodness of the refreshingly creamy goodness of strawberry and banana smoothie gets a healthy dose of coconut oil to give you that nutritious and energy boosting flavor in your all time favorite smoothie.
16 ounces of purified water
1 Cavendish banana
Frozen 3/4 cup strawberries
Fresh or frozen 1 teaspoon raw extra virgin coconut oil
1 serving high-quality vanilla protein powder
Handful of ice
Shredded coconut, for garnish
- Simply mix and blend all ingredients (except garnish ingredients) in a high-speed blender. Stop when the mixture is already smooth and creamy (about 1 to 2 minutes).
- Pour in a glass. Top with shredded coconut and a single strawberry as garnish.
- Serve and drink while still ice cold and thick.
- Reminders: Since coconut oil is fat, there is a tendency for it to stick to the sides of your blender. Because of this, it may become hardened due to the cold ingredients of the smoothie. In order to avoid this, pour the water in the blender first. Then put in the rest of the ingredients, except the coconut oil.
With everything in, put in the coconut oil. Make sure to pour it gently right in the middle of the mixture of ingredients. Doing so helps in preventing the oil to stick to the sides of the blender during the mixing process.
At this point, begin the blending by putting the blender on low speed, gradually increasing the speed as the ingredients start to become liquefied. The slow and steady mixing action ensures the coconut oil to properly blend with the liquid and other liquefied ingredients. Also, check from time to time if there are still spots of coconut oil sticking to the sides of the blender. If needed, scrape off any ingredients that do stick, and continue blending until you reach your desired smoothie consistency.Read More